Sunday, December 9, 2018

Week 15 Self Portrait Blog

Inspirational artworks from Google Arts & Culture

https://g.co/arts/fh7xxwfjnw8ykt8b8

Self Portrait
Manuel Gonzalez
ca. 1954
35.5 x 20.7
oil on canvas

I selected this piece because I really love how the artist used so much detail to create the texture of the skin. By showing its aging wrinkles and cracked effect that you notice more as you zoom in.


https://g.co/arts/fh7xxwfjnw8ykt8b8

Portrait of Guilherme de Almeida
Dimitri Ismaillovich
1954
46.4 x 35.9 cm
pencil on paper

I selected this piece because it feels so realistic to me. Also, because I plan on doing my self portrait with pencil on paper, as well, so I feel like my piece will be similar in style to this one.

https://g.co/arts/fh7xxwfjnw8ykt8b8

Self-Portrait
Rosa Rolanda
1939
40 x 30 cm
oil on canvas

I selected this piece because I appreciate the combination of the realistic yet abstract style that I see when I look at the women in the self portrait.


I selected pencil and paper to create my self portrait because I feel like this is the best way for me to be able to get it as detailed as possible. I prefer to do it with no color as well, therefor pencil is the best option to allow for shading details.

The challenges I faced when creating my self portrait were getting the shapes and proportions appropriate and realistic. I wanted it to be as realistic as possible and that was a struggle for me.

This piece is only a visual representation of me, leaving the viewer not knowing much besides my appearance.

I used line, value, contrast, shape and proportion to create a realistic self portrait.

I did enjoy working on this project because it is something I have never done before and I was able to take the time to focus on the simple details of myself to attempt to create a realistic self portrait that I feel represents who I am.

I think my final piece is appropriate for my skill level. I am happy with the outcome and impressed with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment