Sunday, September 30, 2018

Art Gallery Visit - Module 5


Module 5 – Art Gallery Visit

A.)   The first piece of artwork that made an impression on me was the very first piece that the Albright Knox gallery acquired as a gift from the artist himself, Albert Bierstadt. The piece called The Marina Piccola, Capri 1859 is done with oil on canvas by the American born artist who resided in Germany and lived from 1830-1902. It is a large piece, but not as large as some of the other pieces in the gallery. The reason this left an impression on me was because of both the story behind it, and the various aspects of the painting. It appeals to many viewers because it combines the sky and topography, as well as people. It is all very real and natural while keeping your interest as your eyes move throughout the piece.
Another piece that made an impression on me was The Marvelous Sauce, ca 1890. This piece was done with oil paints on wood panel by the artist Jehan Georges Vibert, a French artist who lived from 1840-1902. This left a very big impression on me, as it criticizes the wealthy for how much they have, yet how little they care to help the less fortunate. Wealthy people, surrounded in excess and lavish furnishes, rather than caring to share and help the poor. Having grown up in the Dominican Republic, I can relate to this painting. Here in the United States, people have so much more than they need, and rather than donating to, or helping others, they throw away and waste so much, without a care or second thought. This painting, which is fairly small in size, really gives you a clear view into that truth.
B.)    One of the artworks I felt a connection with was called Street Music, 1950, painted by Normal Wilfred Lewis, an American artist who lived from 1909-1997. This painting was oil on canvas, and is fairly small in size. It is an abstract, painting, yet he did is in such a poetic way, rather than being splattered or smeared, that’s purpose was used as the artists “strategy to distance himself from what he felt was a racially biased visual language that reinforced negative stereotypes.” This painting shows people playing musical instruments, music notes and movement. I relate to this in many ways. Music is a very big part of my Dominican culture, and growing up my father was always playing music outside of his barber shop in our community. This brought so many people together, dancing, signing, and sharing in joy and happiness. This painting brings me happiness and makes me think of my father, and the legacy of music he left behind in my life.
Another piece of art that I felt a connection with was called Grass, done in 1965 by Artist Len Lye. It is fairly large in size, made from stainless steel and wood and is motorizes and programmed and is paired with Gymnopedie No. 1, 1888 by composer Erik Satie.. This piece is not like any other I have seen. It moved causing it to make noise that is reminiscent of long grass swaying in the wind. It is so unique and mesmerizing that it creates a mediation like atmosphere, along with the calming music that begins to play, you are encapsulated in this serene moment between yourself and the art. I connected to this piece on a personal level because I try to practice meditation and taking in the time to appreciate the world around me every day. This is the kind of art I feel causes you to do that unconsciously.
C.)    One piece of art I would like to know more about would have to be Loud Tactile Painting, created in 1962 by Yaacov Agam out of wood and metal. This piece in interactive and can be touched, with gloves and assistance from museum staff. When you softly touch and move any of the 35 rattle-like drums made of metal and attached by long, slender springs, carious tones are heard and patterns and shadows are created by the multiple pieces moving. This piece leaves you curious and wanting to know more and understand how exactly it was created and how it works the way it does to create sound as well as being visually pleasing.
Another piece of art that left me wanting to know more was Vega-Nor, painted with oil on canvas in 1969 by artist Victor Vasarely. This piece really drew me in for quite a while. It calls your attention from across the room, pulling you in to look closer and closer. Even in the photo I took of this painting, I still cannot believe that it is not 3 dimensional. The use of colors and lines, so strategically and mathematically done, give this bold impression that it is protruding right out at you. I would like to know more about this piece because I am interested in knowing how to create this kind of art on my own, as it pulls your eyes in so very much.






2 comments:

  1. Very detailed and great responses! I enjoyed reading your blog. I noticed another classmate liked the grass piece, so did I! I didn't write it in my blog, but I do think it is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. I also picked The Grass 1965 by Artist Len Lye I found the piece and the music very soothing. I wish I hand time to meditate I'm going to put it on my To-do list.

    ReplyDelete